Monday, 7 September 2009

Uganda - Day 2





Okay so Day 2 of the Uganda trip…equally exhausting…I had to get up earlyish for the next stage which was a drive from Kampala to Mbarara in the South West of Uganda. I tried to save money by having a piece of toast with peanut butter and jam and a juice and banana but it cost $5 (R40 for that!!!!). During the day Bryan is racing around trying to figure out whether to put a purchase in on a house back home so we have rather haphazd sms’s going back and forth between us…which I notice are disturbing our driver who must be wondering who in Uganda I already have a connection with.

Our driver Herbert (I discovered that’s how you spell it even though he pronounces it Hubbard) must have stoked up well on breakfast because it took over 6 hours to get here and all he did was buy a bunch of bananas for sustinance. We crossed the equator earlier in the day which was exciting but I suppose we must have crossed it when we flew in anyway…but we stopped at a café there on the equator and had black tea “with spices” (which meant ginger…good for the stomach) and fried ciabatta chips (like pasta chips) and guacamole. I bought a pretty scarf but was disappointed that an American before me bought the best one L

The roads were pretty horrendous and under construction most of the way, a terrible accident ahead held us up (4 children killed in a bakkie which went off the road due to a truck carrying sweet potatoes…the awful thing was seeing it being towed away and what looked like a child’s body still in the squashed bakkie). L uckily we had a 4x4 because the potholes got worse and worse, we saw zebra, buck and cows which huge horns on the way and finally arrived in Mbarara where I then paid $220 for the trip!!!! Eeek!

I was at the point where I couldn’t keep my eyes open and we had just been shown to our rooms in the University Inn when we were told we were due for a meeting at the site and had to jump back in the 4x4 to get there. I’m currently typing this up while at the site because I probably won’t have internet later tonight and anyway I’m preparing for an early night and a battle with the mosquitos in the very basic accommodation in comparison to the Protea Hotel. Photo’s may have to be posted at a later stage!

So we are waiting for a meeting with the clinic team and I’m wondering where my next meal will be coming from…I may have to crack open a can of tuna and crackers. The good news is that we get breakfast and we can recover from the road trip for the next 3 days. I’m dreading the return trip…I’ll be bagging the back seat for a snooze back I think.

Here are some Ugandan words I learnt:

Agandi - hello

Nyahoo – I’m fine

Omigati - bread

Webare – thank you

2 comments:

  1. darling I am so sorry about the awful accident and will pray for a safe return journey xxx mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kat. Are there any complimentary slippers or shampoo bottles at the University Inn? You know what to do with them... and good thinking on the scarf - you can wrap things up in the scarf! Ingenious!

    ReplyDelete