Hi guys
It's with a really heavy heart that I write this post.
It turns out our victory of Monday night was very short-lived. We've received summons to go to court and I'm being sued for ten million Rand for damages to the commercial section holder's right to sell his property.
Turns out there's some clause that says they cannot be sued or blocked if they're in a sales agreement because technically our beef is with the new owners and not the old one. Our attorney says it could be really serious if we go to court and the costs are just astronomical - to get an advocate for the first appearance is going to cost Kat and me over R40,000!! And that's just to draft papers and appear for round one!!
I've been given the option to sell my flat to him for R300,000 cash and he'll drop the case, so it looks like I'm going to have to do that which is a heavy burden for me. How can the guy with more money win the court case without a trial??
There's just no justice. This country sucks. I'm too upset to blog more.
UPDATE: For those who are still responding with shock and horror, this was nothing more than a lame attempt at an April Fool's joke. We (i.e. I) apologise for any inconvenience or attempted purchases of our flat which may have incurred in reaction to this blogpost. Thanks.
For anyone who bothered to care, this was an April Fool's joke, and my job here is done. It is not a true post. You may ignore it. I wouldn't give up that easily :)
ReplyDeleteI only got around to reading your blog at 10pm, so I'm a little late for the joke.
ReplyDeleteReading your last post I'm glad to see you're using Ken Mustard, he's really great. Tell him that Bronwen and I said, "Hi.", the next time you see him.
P.S. Do you get my newsletters?
Ken Mustard might be a great guy, but he's representing the opposition, poor soul. I've dealt with him on this matter a few times, and he doesn't seem too interested - more like he's in it for the money representing a billionaire, but his client is a really rough nut to work for. How do you guys know him, and how well?
ReplyDeleteI get your newsletters - why, what's up? It's sometimes hard to follow on my blackberry, but I read them whenever I can :)
Darn, worst luck. He's a friend of the family. If you remember the wedding he played the bagpipes at the reception for us.
ReplyDeleteHe's really a decent guy, but I suppose you can't always choose your clients, and lawyers tend to work on retainers. Hey, on the upside Ken Mustard is a good lawyer so Ken's not likely to advise wassisname to litigate just so Ken can make a fast buck. There are a lot of lawyers out there who are like that, and they're a pain in the teeth because not only do they cost their own clients a fortune, but they also cost the other party a fortune too.
So, I suppose its not all bad that a guy with some ethics is representing the other side in this.
Oh, and as for the newsletters, well, it might not entirely be your blackberry's fault, I do tend to ramble a bit.