Wednesday, 14 October 2009

Senseless tragedy

Today a good friend of ours sent out an sms around midday that told us his sister-in-law had passed away.

The shock of this sudden loss, and the painful reality that it was a close friend's family, was made so much more unbearable owing to the nature of her passing - an attempted hijacking.

Usually we'd feel horrible and sad simply because it's a friend's tragedy, but for some reason we feel even more gutted than we would normally be - not sure if we've grown more compassionate over life, or because we know the bereaved personally. Whatever the circumstances for our pain, I felt the need to share.

The loss that has occurred wasn't only senseless, but far more tragic because Bianca wasn't a threat to anyone. That two would-be thieves made a decision today to do something this heinous and become murderers just completely shakes my understanding of humanity. The gravity of the events today are even more overwhelming when I consider that these two people loaded a firearm and went out to steal, and to kill. What other reason would someone have for having a loaded weapon?

Reports are disjointed at the moment, but some articles say Bianca was just shot. Plain and simple. How can someone fathom such a thing?

To the family - especially Careen, Cliff, and Bianca's brother and parents - our deepest condolences. We may never fully comprehend your pain but we feel the loss as if she were our sister too. To Hylton, we will always be here for you during this time, and well after the shock and anguish has passed. We know it's hit you hard and we have been praying for you and the rest of the families.

I want to see justice, but I also need to remember vengeance will come under God's authority. Right now we must simply thank God for bringing Bianca into everyone's lives, and pray that the Lord Almighty will be our comfort and our strength. For the Waburtons and Bianca's family, we will keep you in our prayers.

This is completely shocking and I've felt so numb - I don't know of anyone who hasn't been affected by this. This is absolutely senseless and right now is a tragedy beyond compare.

No comments:

Post a Comment