You see, Katherine's work is flying her to San Francisco for some meeting for two days, and the main guy there says he's fully booked until 21-23 December, and wanted to know if that would work for us. HECK YES! A free flight for Kat to the USA over Christmas, and free accommodation for the both of us while we're in SF? Essentially half-price to USA for Christmas? Who wouldn't want that!
The planned dates to travel would be 17 December to 27 December, with a total cost of about R30,000'ish for the both of us, which isn't so bad considering that's usually the cost for ONE person, and in the end we'd have seen both coasts and stayed in two major US cities (with a stop off in Washington). I've been to NY and DC but not SF (if I recall), so this should be a worthwhile trip for both of us! AND there's no leave used up because it's the Christmas period, so that means we both get "free" days off since UKZN is closed from 24 December to 4 January - any other time and we'd have to use up our leave!
Happy Days!
Well, yes, but also not-so-happy-as-they-could-have-been, because it turns out our wonderful trip is being postponed for a few days, because the major role-players aren't all available until 2010.
We've (as in the guys Kat works with) asked if the 27,28,29 December would work, but the main guy is suggesting 5 to 6 January, so either way we can still hopefully squeeze in a Christmas experience in New York :)
To celebrate this, I have made a list of all the movies with New York as a setting and Kat and I intend to watch as many as we can (even if she hasn't agreed to this yet) to get us prepared for this auspicious journey. Sleepless in Seattle was first.
Upon compiling my list, I have also discovered that I've seen almost every single movie on the list, and that could explain why I've always had dreams of us living in a corner apartment in New York and working there... and it could also explain why I've had these recurring dreams of us living in New York. Maybe there's a childhood developmental thing that's now sowed the seed of New York fever in my soul? At any rate, we will be scoping out New York to see if it's the place for us, or if it has any potential whatsoever, and we'll come back with a much better viewpoint on the what-if's and what-not's.
I am very disappointed that we may have to (a) use our own leave for this trip, and (b) miss out on a Christmas in New York (and I was SO looking forward to seeing a little blonde kid racing around the streets looking for his parents while the Wet Bandits chase after him in an hilarious series of slapstick tortures in line for the Wet Bandits).
Ah well, we'll see - holding thumbs and praying hard!
No comments:
Post a Comment