Well, no, not quite. It's supposed to be spinal block, but even then that's not quite right anyway, but "this is epidural!" just doesn't have the same ring to it.
What an experience! This baby birthing thing isn't like in the movies! There's hours of waiting around, sitting in an uncomfortable chair, needing to haul up to 1st floor to use the 'loo and being asked to leave the room all the time! True, they served breakfast, but still - this isn't the Ritz. Two slices of toast, some jam and yoghurt, and a muffin. And to be asked to keep an eye on the drip bag! Such nerves! I think I should suggest more comfortable pillows and perhaps another bed for me to rest in next time.
Oh hang on, you want to know about Kat? Well, she's hanging in there just great. They've done the epidural, but they kind of forced it on her. I did the right husbandly thing and dug my heels in between the 6'6" Czeckoslovakian and Kat and made sure after several mini discussions to-and-fro that it was the best option at the time. The nursing staff kind of tried to defuse the tension but in the end after making absolutely sure that Kat was okay with it I let it proceed. I admit I was becoming a bit protective but I think they also realised without our consent they couldn't do anything.
Prior to the epidural they gave Kat an enema. Quite a simple procedure but it was obviously a unique experience. When they inserted a catheter (she's like a human pin-cushion - I haven't even mentioned the IV drip! Ok, so now I have...) it ruptured the waters so we are all good to go now.
ETA is now 4pm to 6pm. Dr. Czarnocki is still happy with everything so all systems are go!
No comments:
Post a Comment